More than half a million of U.S. women have a hysterectomy each year – so common, it’s second only to cesarean section. Studies also have shown that up to 40% of hysterectomies may be performed unnecessarily. At Fort Sanders Women’s Specialists you have alternatives available, and our physicians are prepared to advise you of all possible options. We believe a hysterectomy is last resort. Hysterectomy alternatives are done in our office.
Available Hysterectomy Alternatives
In addition to drug or hormone replacement therapies, there are many types of minimally-invasive alternatives to a total hysterectomy:
- Myomectomy – an outpatient procedure where fibroids are removed, leaving most of the uterus untouched. This controls symptoms in about 80% of women.
- Endometrial ablation – a one-time procedure to “burn off” excess uterine lining
- Uterine embolization – similar to a heart catherization where blood supply to the tumor is purposely blocked
Hormonal and drug therapies are viable options for some women.
- Oral contraceptives
- NSAIDs and other anti-inflammatory drugs
- Progestins and various hormone combinations
- IUD placement
If your doctor has recommended a hysterectomy – for any reason – we strongly suggest you seek a second opinion. Ask questions. Decide for yourself based on how the problems are affecting your lifestyle.